Recent Posts

Monday, 13 January 2014

Debenhams Winter Style Challenge

Hey guys! I have just found out about the Debenhams Winter Style Challenge and being the fashion-crazy gal that I am, I thought it was too much fun too not to get involved. Basically the task is to create a mood board which presents two stylish winter outfits. One should showcase a daytime look, which will keep you warm and cosy but looking good through the colder months; and the other outfit should be your ultimate party look. The winter style challenge will be judged by Natasha from girlinthelens.com and Victoria vipxo.co.uk - I think it's so fab that the judges are fellow bloggers.

Here are the two outfits that I put together:

Look 1: Winter Daytime Look
  Winter Daytime Look | Fashion Blog | Fashion Blogger | www.thebellenarrative.com
Total = £229.90

In creating this look I had one overall brief in my head which was "snug yet stylish" and here are my reasons for picking each of the individual items above:

The coat: Ah, now this is indeed the pièce de résistance. Whilst browsing the Debenhams website selecting items for my mood board, this Jonathan Saunders oversized pink coat caught my eye immediately. I actually wanted a colourful coat to go with the outfit to inject a pop of colour so was glad to come across this really fab coat. There's so much to love about this coat, the cheery colour alone will pick you up on those not so great gloomy weather days, whilst the oversized silhouette is seriously bang on trend. If you're looking to invest in that one key statement piece this Autumn/Winter, then the oversized coat is your staple. The coat is also super cosy and warm (yay for wool!) and is perfect for layering...and let's face it - in this weather you'll be layering up loads.

Faux leather trousers: I choose these because they're just so fabulous and versatile as they can be dressed up or down as one pleases, super handy for transitioning from a day to night look. Just add a pair of heels and et voilà you have yourself an on-trend evening ensemble. I'm a massive fan of faux leather so am loving the fact that it's all the rage at the moment, and going by the latest trend reports it seems that faux leather will still be with us come AW14 - yay!

Dogtooth jumper: There are so many reasons to love this jumper: It's very easy to wear, you can dress it up or down, and  dogtooth is very on-trend this season - so you'll not only stay warm but you'll look good in the process too.

Studded lace-up boots: As it's a daytime look I thought that the outfit should incorporate some practical, comfy footwear so I choose these flat boots. The stud detailing adds a touch of glam, so there you have it - you can shop the January Sales in both comfort and style. I also choose these boots because I think that they pair up perfectly with the faux leather trousers.

Ear muffs and gloves: These are to keep you warm of course but both items are great pieces within themselves. I think that the beading on the ear muffs is absolutely gorgeous and will definitely catch many an adoring eye. These ear muffs are also very fancy and unique so you can wear them with ease knowing that they're not the type of accessory that everybody else will have...because after all, standing out from the crowd is always nice really isn't it. As for the gloves, well I really love the deep berry colour and think it will look fabulous against the coat - plus they're lined with fleece so your fingers will stay all nice and toasty!

...After putting this look together I feel like buying the whole outfit now!

Look 2: Party Look

Party Look | Black Sequin Dress | Fashion Blog | www.thebellenarrative.com


Total = £234.24

Well we move on to the night look now where things get all glam, so naturally I had to opt for all over sequins - what better way to stand out on the dance floor ey. I decided to pair the dress with these fabulous Carvela Juliette high heel court shoes because I loved the diamante embellishment on the back of the shoes and thought that they compliment the dress really nicely. I chose the black diamond drop earrings because they are so chic and pretty and go nicely with the whole outfit yet keep the attention on the dress, which is the intended main focus of the outfit. So as the dress is the leading piece, accessories of course have been kept to a minimum.

A glitzy party look is not complete without some serious shimmer on the lips, for which I have chosen Lancôme's 'Gloss In Love' lip gloss since it imparts extreme long-lasting shine. I have chosen the shade 'Blink Pink' because it's the perfect pink nude colour for a night look. You will need to top your lip gloss up throughout the night so carry it in style with the lovely J by Jasper Conran clutch bag that I've chosen. The octagonal shape is both modern and stylish, I love it!

Last of all, don't even think about leaving the house without a spritz of perfume. My scent of choice for the occasion is Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Parfum, reason being because it is both fresh and sultry at the same time - the perfect way to channel that party vibe.

So that concludes my two outfit selections for the challenge. I actually had a lot of fun creating this post as I absolutely love making mood boards, they're such a great way to channel creative energy.

So what do you think of my outfit selection lovelies?

Aimee xx

Update: To my surprise and delight I was one of the two runners up! Such a nice surprise indeed!

46 comments:

  1. Absolutely love both looks. The daytime look I want to put on right now! Xx

    aliceadoresapparel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I felt exactly the same when I was creating the mood board :) xx

      Delete
  2. I love the colour of the coat! I've got a thing for bright colours at the moment, which is unusual as I'm normally drawn to black things.
    www.knockoutcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these looks! They are so awesome! You have such a great sense of style!!!

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the coat! I received a pink coat for my birthday this year and absolutely love it!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an amazing colour isn't it, and a fall trend too :) I bet your coat is really lovely! :)

      Delete
  5. beautiful post!!:) definitely love that party look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm glad that you liked the look - think I need that sequin party dress in my life :)

      Delete
  6. Nice sets, love the coat!


    xx Karolina
    CARAMODE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad that you liked them :) That coat is such a covetable piece isn't it :)

      Delete
  7. I love the second look! the dress is so nice!
    - Charlotte
    http://fashiongirl134.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's such a great dress isn't it :)

      Delete
  8. that magenta coat is BEAUTIFUL, i wouldn't mind braving winter in that one :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great post, I love the outfits! The party look is so pretty - usually I don't like sparkly dresses but that one is really nice!

    xx
    Kendra | It's a Bug's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Ah yes it's all about choosing the right dress, this one is so perfect - and it's black which keeps things nice and refined.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely LOVE the party look. Completely agree, minimal accessories required as the dress is the leading piece.

    Fingers crossed that you win :-) You are a very stylish woman with good taste! Equally love your fashion posts; look forward to reading more.

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it chicks :) Aw thanks for your kind words...you guys are so lovely! xx

      Delete
  11. ah that pink coat is to die for! seriously love these picks
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. love these two looks! that jacket is beautiful, i want it all haha great post lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that pink coat is gorgeous! Such a lovely shade.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, I think it goes so well with monochrome :)

      Delete
  14. i love the jumper, trousers and boots that you picked out for outfit 1 girlie:)that coat is a gorgeous colour too:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my ear muffs. They keep me warm without messing my hair. The coat is super cute, but I tried one in a store that looks like that, I think I am too small for that shape.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That pink coat is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the first look, that coat is amazing, I love the colour and the shape

    Please come check out my latest post if you have time :)

    Fragile Bird | www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good suggestions! ♥

    http://finddyourway.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both of these outfits are gorgeous, the leather trousers are lovely and the dress -wow!

    Jenn | PhotoJennic

    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this outfits!!
    unconventionalsecrets.blogspot.it NeW Post

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love both looks! The ear muff are so cute and the coat is lovely. The sparkly dress is sophisticated too! Everything looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I ADORE the jumper and the coat in the day look! Really great post! <3

    Xoxo http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)