Recent Posts

Tuesday, 21 July 2015

High End Primers | A Few Current Favourites of Mine


best makeup primers | best primers for long-lasting makeup | High-End Makeup Primers | Beauty Blogger Review | foundation primers 
My summer has consisted of a fair few formal do’s such as weddings and engagement parties, so as you can imagine, the pressure to have flawless long-lasting makeup has never been greater. Luckily there's a precious little thing called "makeup primer" (my saviour!) which has been helping to ensure that my foundation stays intact for hours.


I don't typically use a primer on a daily basis, but when I do, you can guarantee that I'll be using one that's effective at getting the job done! So today I thought I'd share three of my personal favourites with you:

The three primers mentioned below are actually all fantastic multi-tasking products, as well as wonderful primers in their own right, so I think you'll enjoy hearing about them!

Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream

Bobbi Brown’s Hydrating Gel Cream has more or less been my go-to primer for the past year and a half and I’m constantly recommending it to people. This product is basically a gel-based moisturising cream with a built-in primer, making it a real saviour for when you’re pushed for time in the mornings and don’t have to apply both a separate moisturiser and primer.

The texture of this product is that of a creamy gel and is soft and silky to the touch. The cream is non-greasy, applies easily and absorbs into the skin quickly.

Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream | Bobbi Brown Primer | High-End Makeup Primers | Beauty Blogger Review | Bobbi Brown



This cream is extremely moisturising and hydrating - you actually feel it hydrating your skin immediately after application, so if you are using it as a standalone moisturiser then you’ll really love it. Note for me personally though, the one downside to using this cream solely as moisturiser is that it contains dimethicone (7th ingredient in) - which basically = silicone i.e. something that I don't want in my daily moisturiser (obviously I'm fine with silicone in things like my foundation and primer, but no thanks to it in my general skincare routine!).

I actually rely on this product for it's wonderful priming properties alone as it really truly does prolong the wear of my foundation. So unless I'm pushed for time or in a rush, I'll normally just layer my Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream over my 'regular' moisturiser [but only after I've allowed time for it to sink in first] - if anything I think of it as 'double moisturising' which isn't really a bad thing is it?! This also ensures that my current moisturising regime isn't disrupted either.

Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream Review | Bobbi Brown Makeup Primer | best primers for long-lasting makeup | foundation primer | Bobbi Brown

Why I love my Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream:

• The lightweight gel texture feels lovely and light on the skin, making this primer especially perfect for the current warmer weather; plus if like myself, you hate the heavy feel of a full-on silicone primer then you’ll love this product as it doesn’t feel heavy on the skin in the slightest.

• As mentioned above, as a primer this product really does prolong the wear of my makeup – I recently wore this primer to an engagement party and my makeup stayed intact and fresh-looking throughout the whole event. (Note - I have combination skin and was wearing a dewy foundation base so that’s not bad going at all is it?!)

• It smells lovely and refreshing!

• You only need use the tiniest amount so a jar will last you quite a while.

Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse

Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse is a cult makeup artist favourite and has been somewhat of a staple makeup item of mine [along with all the other primers in this post] for quite some time now. This hardworking primer mousse minimises pores, evens out skin tone and primes the skin for flawless make-up application. It also controls shine and makes your foundation last longer – yep it’s a bit of a multi-tasker isn’t it?! This primer really is an all-round winner, so it’s little wonder that it is so popular amongst makeup artists.

Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse | Shu Uemura makeup primer | Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse Review | Beauty Blog Review | Shu Uemura makeup

I actually still have my limited edition can from the ‘ob for Shu Uemura’ collection – as pictured. I actually just recently stumbled across it and had completely forgotten that I even had it! Guess I couldn’t bring myself to throw the can away as the packaging is so lovely - I’m such a magpie for pretty packaging!

Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse in Beige | Shu Uemura makeup primer | ob For Shu Uemura | Beauty Blogger Review | Shu Uemura makeup



Such whimsical packaging isn’t it? It’s no wonder that I kept the can!

Since the primer has a mousse consistency it is extremely light in texture and feels very comfortable on the skin, so again, this is a great choice of primer for summer - especially as it contains SPF 30.

Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse comes packaged in pump packaging, which I initially found a bit tricky to get on with as I kept on pumping out too much product (the trick is to press really really gently on the pump), but after a bit of practice I was able to get it right. Other than that a can should last you several months, depending on your own personal usage.

I find that this product applies very quickly and easily, I simply massage it into my face with my fingers. I've heard that the results are meant to be better if you use the special little Shu Uemura makeup sponge (sold separately), so I'll have to try that out in future to see how it compares.

For best results, I recommend giving the mousse 5 mins or so to set before applying your foundation on top. Once applied, the mousse gives your face a poreless semi-matte finish.

Available shades: There are two different shades – ‘beige’ which is said to match medium skin (this is the shade that I have), and ‘pink’ for lighter skin.

Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse Review | Shu Uemura makeup primer | Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse

Update: I think that this product may have now been discontinued as I can’t seem to see it on the Shu Uemura website - however it is still floating about online, and I believe that the newer version of this product is the Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base CC Mousse.

Cosmetics à La Carte Skin Veil

Cosmetics à La Carte Skin Veil is a 'tinted skin perfector & primer' which keeps your makeup intact all day, whilst also diminishing the appearance of pores and fine lines – bit of an all-round winner isn’t it?! This product also lightly tints the skin, giving the appearance of a more even skin tone, so can actually be worn alone for that much-sought-after "skin looks like skin, but better" look.

The consistency is light and creamy and the product applies beautifully, whilst being soft and silky to the touch. Ever the multi-tasker, Skin Veil can also be finger-blended over your foundation to spot-fix those pesky smile and frown lines! Thus luckily it comes packaged in a gorgeous portable compact, complete with mirror and sponge so that you can take it on-the-go with you:

Cosmetics à La Carte Skin Veil | Luxury Makeup Primer | Makeup Primers Foundation primer | Beauty Blog


The shiny mirrored compact is so luxurious!

Skin Veil is available in four different shades - I have the shade Vanilla (as pictured below) as I deemed it to be a good match for my current medium skin tone; although once applied, the product more or less goes invisible on me, which is great as initially I wasn't sure how well it would match me.

Cosmetics à La Carte Skin Veil | Luxury Makeup | Luxury Makeup Primer | Makeup Primers | Foundation primer | Beauty Blog



Above all, Skin Veil is great reserved for those glamorous occasions where you want to look ‘extra special’ as it really does make your face look flawless and airbrushed! If you are looking for a primer that smoothes the skin’s texture, preparing it for flawless, even make-up application then look no further than Skin Veil! This is another favourite primer of mine that I highly recommend!

So there you go, now you know what my current favourite primers are. I actually alternate between all of these depending on the occasion, season, or how much time I have to do my makeup.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about these primers! I thought that you might appreciate me sharing them with you, as unlike typical primers out there which I really dislike as they can feel heavy or cloggy, these primers actually feel lovely and light on the skin...and that's why I rate them all highly!

Aimee xx


47 comments:

  1. great post!! thanks for sharing!

    Have a great day!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great!! That hydrating gel cream is something I really need!

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fabulous - you should definitely try it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They're all perfect aren't they?!

      Delete
  4. The pore eraser packaging is so cute. Bobbie Brown primer I love great products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bobbi Brown products but I've never tried her primers :) Love the packaging!

    http://www.fineclic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is fab isn't it? It's so lovely and luxe-looking :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely products! Skin Veil sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mousse bottle is adorable haha :) These products all look great and I can see why you love them :)

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never use a primer, but these looks amazing! I have a few products that does the same, that I switch between too!

    http://industrialbarbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love Bobbi Brown, but the Shu Uemura one looks incredibly sweet!

    http://thepinkporcelaindoll.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know primer always a makes a big difference but I tend to forget it most of the time. I've herad great things about the Shu Uemura one and the packaging is so cute. Glad to hear it's still available :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  11. Parece ser tudo tão fantastico ;o!! adoro de mais ;D
    Bjinhos Sandra Color-s

    ReplyDelete
  12. This base mousse looks interesting and I'm sure that it's great product :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh I haven't seen any of these before! I like the look of the Bobbi Brown one. The pot looks so pretty haha

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would love to try them out! I'll have to check if they have them in America!

    Paulina

    shenanigan-ska.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ihave never tried any of these primers but the Skin Veil is the one I would probably buy, it seems perfect for my skin type.

    http://www.notesofglam95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really wanted to try that Bobbi Brown gel primer and mousse bottle too....

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Bobbi Brown cream sounds like a dream! Lovely post!

    Charlotte x

    http://the-beauty-lane.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Shu Uemura packaging! I haven't tried any of these but the Bobbi Brown one sounds great!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a bit rubbish when it comes to remembering to use primers, but I bet if I had Skin Veil I'd easily remember!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely would - it's such a gorgeous product! x

      Delete
  20. The Shu Uemura Poreraser UV Under Base Mousse the packaging is really cute
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'd love to try bobby brown's products :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not used this brand, but it looks very good as I read your review, thank you for sharing your experience.

    www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great products!
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd rather use gel than cream, I love the sense of freshness and lightness from gel in my face.

    Natalia
    Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - that's why I find the Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream so heavenly to use :) x

      Delete
  25. I never use Primer but the bobbi brown one looks gorgeous xx
    Glossy Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love primers! Great post!

    - Cielo
    www.mermaidinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely post...thx for sharing!
    happy Friday dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh I haven't tried any of these but I will have to have a splurge :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Ooh exciting! Let me know what you get! x

      Delete
  29. I've never tried these products before, thanks for sharing!

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. The bobbi brown looks promising... I shall give a try !

    Keep in touch ya. :)
    www.smallnhot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello,

    Amazing products ! :D

    Sarah, http://sarahmodeee.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Bobbi Brown primer sounds good, might have to give it a try!

    Arianna x
    http://ariannachatz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow!
    Amazing items and sound nice!
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really want to try Bobbi Brown primer but now I'm intrigued by a la carte skin veil..

    Sam || Beautydetour

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)