Recent Posts

Sunday, 9 August 2015

Philips Lumea Review


In the last few years you may have noticed the emergence of various home IPL hair removal devices. Excited about the prospect of having smooth silky legs on a long-term basis I was immediately interested in all these various home IPL systems that were popping up everywhere. However with a plethora of different home-based IPL devices to choose from I was a little stuck on which one to go for, but the one that stood out to me most was the Philips Lumea - especially as I kept seeing adverts of it all around the internet. Was this a sign/prompt for me to buy it? Possibly! So like any savvy consumer I went off and did a bit of background research into the device and discovered that over 10 years of extensive research had gone into it. So basically it was like a no-brainer for me to purchase it, especially as consumer reviews of this device were just glowing...and then off I went to buy myself a Philips Lumea!

Philips Lumea Review | Philips Lumea Above: The wondrous Philips Lumea!

I’ve actually been the proud owner of my Philips Lumea for over two years now, during which time I have experienced such magnificent results that I thought really needed sharing with you - hence this blog post! In case anyone is interested, the model that I own is the SC2001 and is still widely available for sale online but newer models of the Lumea are now available. However the devices all use the same IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) technology, so this review should still be helpful to anyone  generally interested in the Philips Lumea.

Philips Lumea IPL hair removal 
I won't go into great detail about how this device works as it's all laid out for you perfectly well on the Philips website - plus as this is somewhat of a "legendary" beauty gadget it seems pointless to repeat what a lot of you may have already have heard ten times over. However here’s a brief bit of product info from Philips on how IPL technology works:

“Lumea uses the Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) used by the professional beauty industry for hair removal. Gentle pulses of light applied directly onto the skin make the hair follicles go into a resting phase and shed naturally.”

So how does one apply/transfer these "gentle pulses of light" onto the skin?

Well as you can see from the pictures in this post, the Lumea is basically a cordless handheld gun, and in order for it to work its magic you simply zap yourself with it! Note - you have to shave the desired treatment area first. Don't worry though, the actually zapping process is painless - at the most you might just feel a slight warming sensation as the pulses of light generate some heat.

Philips Lumea IPL 
I actually only use the Lumea on just my legs but am proud to inform you that after around 6 months my legs were more or less hair-free! The Philips Lumea is aaaamaaazing - end off! In order to maintain these great results all I do nowadays is give myself a little maintenance zap every four months! What can I say, this device hands down has to be the best purchase that I ever made!!

I bought my Lumea for around £330 and although it may sound like a lot of money, it is much cheaper than having the same sort of treatment at a salon. Furthermore my device has a product life of 5-7 years so I’m very happy with the value for money aspect. Plus unlike some similar products on the market you do not need to purchase any other extras like gels, thus with the Lumea there are no hidden costs later down the line.

Philips Lumea Review | Beauty Blogger Review | Philips Lumea Blog Review 
I really love the fact that this device is cordless so there’s no cords to deal with, I can literally take this device anywhere with me. The only real obvious downsides to this device are firstly the battery life and charge time: The device takes 1.5 hours to charge fully and the battery life is very low - typically it only lasts for about 15 mins which isn’t really that long at all. As you can see this would be quite unpractical for those wanting to treat several areas in one sitting…especially since you would have to wait an hour and a half for the device to fully charge! Don’t get me wrong I love this device to bits, but for the sake of an honest review I have to mention this factor.

Secondly, unfortunately this device is not suitable for all - before purchasing it I actually made sure that it was suitable for my particular (Asian) skin tone. With regards to suitable hair and skin types, Philips state that the "Philips Lumea is NOT effective on red, light-blonde or white/grey hair, and "is also NOT suitable for very dark skin.” However I have actually been reviewing a device called the ‘Silk’n Glide 50,000’ which operates at much lower energy levels making it suitable for a wider spectrum of skin tones including darker ones – look out for my review next week.

Philips Lumea
My Lumea came included with a nice silky storage pouch (as pictured above), as well as a charger and instructions for use: Demo DVD, Quick Start Guide and user manual

Overall, yes there are cheaper devices out there that are just as effective as the Lumea (such as the Silk’n Glide 50,000 mentioned above), so naturally it would be foolish not to go for the cheaper alternative; yet at the same time, these last two years have seen me become quite attached to my Philips Lumea so it’s a trusted device that I’ll always return to (plus after seeing my great results, my friends and family have become Lumea converts too!).

Philips Lumea IPL | Philips Lumea 
Thanks to the Philips Lumea I no longer have to deal with the unwanted chore that is hair removal! I recommend this device 10 million percent! It offers pain-free, stress-free hair removal - who wouldn't love that?! I'm sure that you can imagine just how especially handy it is for summer: Since my legs are "summer-ready" 24/7 I haven't had to shave or wax anytime I wanted to get my legs out - I can't stress just how amazing this is!!

Have you tried the Philips Lumea or any other IPL hair removal devices before?
(I personally really REALLY love having continuously hair-free skin!!)

Aimee xx


46 comments:

  1. need! hair removal is the worst and the price isnt too bad!

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it can be such a chore! Luckily this little beauty takes all those troubles away!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I would love one of these! Or a professional treatment so someone could do it for me! But waxing etc definitely does add up over time so this would be an investment!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is hands-down the best purchase I EVER made! I definitely saves me both time and money :) x

      Delete
  3. The sounds like my dream product! I hate shaving my legs. I can't wait until winter so I can hide them for longer haha. I'm actually going to look into this, thanks for the info!

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I hate shaving too - so my Lumea is such a saviour!

      Delete
  4. This device sounds amazing! I really want to try it now :)

    www.fineclic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! I was looking for information regarding this product so this post is very useful! :)

    Andrea.

    Seize your Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. This product sounds amazing! Thanks for the review!! :)

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. This device sound convenient to have and it works. In the long run it money worth. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great product, and Philips is a trusted brand so I'm sure this will last long too ;)

    besos,
    M
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure - two years down the line and my Lumea is still going strong! It's certainly very robust and well made! x

      Delete
  9. oh, this is the device of my dreams, I can't even imagine what it's like having always soft shinny legs
    thanks for sharing
    kisses
    http://www.theitalianglam.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it's such a dream! I actually now can't imagine ever having anything but smooth shiny legs! x

      Delete
  10. Never heard of this before!! Sounds amazing!<3
    Chloe xx
    chloebee1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard of this but never actually seen it anywhere. I think it would be great to try! Great review dear!

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was reading up on some of the real users' reviews of Philips Lumea. I was wondering if the device is as good as their marketing! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it certainly is! Plus this device was first launched a few years ago, and the fact that it's still selling heaps says it all :)

      Delete
  13. This sounds really great, I want to give it a try! Great review!

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. genuinely really happy you did this post it's really helpful! i was wondering whether something like this is worth the money and actually works, i was thinking of getting an epilator but i might splurge on this instead!

    Lori Hearts blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely - I'm so happy to help :)
      I have heard that epilating causes ingrown hairs so it's the Lumea all the way for me! ...plus I'd be too scared of the pain - I've heard that epilating can hurt!

      Delete
  15. I love your review Aimee! Thanks for sharing!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure honey - I'm so glad that you enjoyed my review! x

      Delete
  16. *sigh* I want one of these, I hate shaving but I fall into the light-blonde category and it seems every device says not suitable for me :( I'll look out for your next review for that Silk n Glide in case that model is any different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw doh :( I can imagine your frustration! It's because light blonde hair contains less melanin so doesn't absorb as much light energy.

      However it seems that the Silk n Glide is apparently suitable for blonde hair - but they say that it may be less responsive/require more treatments.

      Delete
    2. Think I could live with that, more treatments have still got to be better than shaving every few days... will see what your review says anyway :)

      Delete
  17. This just sounds PERFECT!! I need one! x

    TR's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like such a great product! I need one haha!

    Yousra | Mystic Tales

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had no idea this product existed! Getting rid of hair almost permanetly in the privacy of our own home...and being free from waxing and shaving...that sounds fantastic! It's worth the price and the long time it takes for the batter to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate body hair and definitely believe that we should have just lashes, brows and our hair on the head, so I was planning to buy something like this, because waxing is very boring and the results are permanent!

    Love, Christina
    http://christinearabela.blogspot.com/2015/08/zara-inspired.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, that's great!! I need this in my life :D eheh

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds great, shaving and waxing are such a chore!!

    http://catrionaar.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds great! I didn't know about it, great review!

    Http://leftbankgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally cool gadget, dear! Certainly love to try! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you-maybe it's pricey, but it's worth to buy it!

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! To be honest, the device has kind of paid for itself now due to all the money that I've saved on having leg waxes :)

      Delete
  26. Sounds like a great product to invest in!

    Tina
    www.justatinabit.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing this, I own one of those Lumea devices but completely forgot about it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post dear!

    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2015/08/colorful-with-dressgal.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aaahhh! I've been wanting that so bad but I was too scared to get one! Thanks for this review now I am 75% sure I will buy it! The other 25% will depend on how much money I will have left after I pay the bills this month!

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is something I definitely need ASAP! Thank you for sharing!!!

    Paulina

    shenanigan-ska.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wanted to try one of this for some time now. My sister got treatments at saloon, the results are great, but all together it's so expencive. So I agree paying a good money on one of this is totally wort it. I'm fancying the one you represent, so I might just get one once I save up the money :)
    Thx for the review

    xx

    d'stars
    *d'stars*

    ReplyDelete
  32. I totally want and need one of these now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)