Recent Posts

Sunday, 15 November 2015

Lifestyle | Wicked The Musical at the Apollo Victoria Theatre


Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London | UK Lifestyle Blogger

Me and my sister are always saying that we need to go to the theatre more often, thus when the opportunity to watch a show arose we knew it would make for a great evening out and nice bit of sister-bonding.

Choosing which show to watch was easy since I’ve wanted to see Wicked the musical for such a long time, but for one reason or the other I never actually got around to arranging anything solid.

It’s actually quite mind-boggling to think that Wicked is currently in its 9th year at the Apollo Victoria Theatre – amazing isn’t it?! The multi award-winning show has had so many great reviews (I actually personally know several people who have seen it more than once) thus our pre-show anticipations of the production were high! We had tickets for the evening show so beforehand we went into Oxford Street for a bit of retail therapy – and to admire the Christmas lights:

Oxford Street | Christmas lights | 2015
Oxford Street | Christmas 2015  
After a nice fun time in Oxford Street we headed off down to Victoria all pumped up and excited to watch Wicked! I love the fact that the Apollo Victoria Theatre is a stone's throw away from Victoria Underground Station so you can’t miss it really, and it’s so easy to get to:

Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London | UK Lifestyle Blog


Judging by the billboard and exterior of the theatre you can see that there is a green colour theme going on, which rather wonderfully also extends to the inside of the theatre too:

Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London | foyer area | UK Lifestyle Blog 
Above: The Apollo Victoria Theatre has a nice d├ęcor as it is (fans of art deco will love it!), so the green-tinged foyer area was just a bonus – fabulous isn’t it?!

So now on to the show itself…

Firstly here’s some background on the show:

“Based on the acclaimed novel by Gregory Maguire that re-imagined the stories and characters created by L Frank Baum in The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz, Wicked tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two girls who first meet as sorcery students. Their extraordinary adventures in Oz will ultimately see them fulfill their destinies as Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch Of The West.”

My verdict:

After watching the show I can totally see why Wicked is so highly-rated. The plot behind the show is very clever, and fits in with the original ‘The Wizard of Oz’ story really well – thus before you see the show it helps that you are familiar with the original story first. I wish I could say more on this, but if I do I’ll risk spoiling it for those who haven’t seen the show. What I can say though is that Wicked makes a very plausible back story to The Wizard of Oz – when you see it yourself (if you already haven’t), then you’ll see exactly what I mean! Genius, genius plot really!

...plus there's lots of humour in the show too so we were kept thoroughly entertained!

Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London | UK Lifestyle Blog 
Above: The stage before the curtain opens: The curtain (centre) is actually a map of The Land of Oz, and above it there's a big scary-looking dragon which comes to life later on in the show!

I loved everything about the musical from the superb singing and acting, to the costumes and set design. This is definitely a must-see musical – over a week later and it’s still stuck in my mind…that’s how great a show it was! Me and my sister clearly weren’t the only ones who enjoyed it – they guy next to me was actually on the edge of his seat as he was that engrossed...as were the people behind us who were pretty much hyped the whole way through the show!

From the conversions going on around us during the interval, it was clear that me and my sister were sitting amid a sea of hardened theatre-goers, which actually made us realise what we’re missing out on. We’ve actually decided to make going to the theatre more of a priority now as it is actually a really enjoyable day or evening out. In fact prior to seeing Wicked last week, I hadn’t been to the theatre in such a long while that I had actually forgotten just how enjoyable the theatre really is!

Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London | UK Lifestyle Blog 
What I loved the most about the show were the two lead actresses who play the roles of the two witches Glinda and Elphaba. I was blown away buy their superb acting and flawless singing. Both have really powerful voices and their solos left me with goose bumps more than once! I have to say that Elphaba aka the Wicked Witch Of The West was my favourite – her singing was so powerful that you can’t help but feel moved by it…and I still have one of her songs stuck in my head!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the show from start to finish and would go and see it again! If you want to read some other reviews of Wicked then you can do so over on the boxoffice.co.uk website here.

Thanks to Box Office for having us! If you haven't been to see this show then I highly recommend it - it's the type of show that all ages will enjoy!

Have you seen Wicked? Are you a fan of musicals too?!

Aimee xx


35 comments:

  1. That show sounds great! Thanks for sharing Miss! ;)
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great production! Pleasure my dear :) x

      Delete
  2. Oxford street looks so gorgeous with all those Christmas lights!

    http://www.notesofglam95.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London is so pretty at Christmas! x

      Delete
  3. ive always wanted to see this show, ive heard nothing but wonderful things! Go see phantom of the opera, chicago and Memphis ;)

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go - it's fab!
      Thanks for the recommendations Pam - all added to the must-see list :) x

      Delete
  4. Wow it sounds amazing I have yet to see though. the last musical I saw was the lion king and that was incredible. Looks like the next show to see is Wicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great show - highly recommended!
      Ooh the lion king sounds fab too - another one for the must-see list! x

      Delete
  5. This is by far one of my favourite musical, the voices are so beautiful! Such a lovely post to read.

    Lauren x
    www.laurenshh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - in terms of vocal performance, this show nails it!!
      Aw thank you - I'm so glad that you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  6. So amazing show!! ^-^
    Have a nice day dear! :*
    www.milleunrossetto.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see this show! I love going to theatre.
    Thanks for sharing.

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see Wicked!! I've never seen a musical before. :)

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw this last month and loved it! Glad you were able to see it too =)

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so much about Wicked and Lion King musicals! Seems like everyone highly recommends the two! I will have to check it out - Wicked seems really interesting.

    TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the heads-up, dear! Gonna hit the cinema! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so jealous!! I've been meaning to go see Wicked on Broadway for years now! Love your review!

    xo Lauren
    Earth to Style

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like great musical, good to hear that it had good plot, it's really important in any plays :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! The set looks amazing! I've always wanted to see Wicked as everyone seems to love it. I do have the book somewhere so I might have to dig it out and give it a read

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh em geee, I still haven't seen this, I need to! I can't believe how long it's been playing, I remember way back when it was new my parents drove down to NYC to see it on their anniversary and my Mom not knowing what it was about thought: Wicked? I don't know, doesn't sound so good...haha!! Hope it comes to my town soon!

    Gina
    Pink Wings

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love musicals but this isn't one I've ever seen - very jealous!

    www.ohsobecky.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like an awesome show! I wish I could see it :)

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  18. The city is so christmassy :) xx

    www.aishettina.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Wicked!! Great post x
    Claire | www.claire-frances.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a real nice treat for yourself! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love going to theatre shows! :D Definitely need to keep a lookout for Wicked!

    ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I saw this place at the same exact place a few years ago... it was awesome!

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love going to theatre but still haven't seen wicked!

    http://talesoftwoblog.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, how I wish see this musical!

    http://finddyourway.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wicked is probably the most amazing musical I've seen live! It's amazing, so well played.

    ♥: Jasmin N | littlethingswithjassy.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)