Recent Posts

Sunday, 23 October 2016

Smashbox Halo Foundations Review


(Yes I’m finally back from my little blogging break…I hope that you enjoy my latest post!)

Being a massive makeup junkie, I have tons of different foundations in my makeup collection. Yet two of my particularly favourite foundations that I’ve whipped out pretty regularly these past few months are these offerings from Smashbox's Halo range:

Smashbox Liquid Halo | Halo Powder | Smashbox Halo Foundation Review 

In case you are not aware, all products in the Smashbox "Halo" line have been specially formulated to give you beautiful luminous, even skin - gotta love that really haven't you? The two foundations that I am going to tell you about today are Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder and Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation SPF 15:

Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation SPF 15:

What they say:
"Bring on the flawless! The first-ever foundation with 100% Liquid Light Technology completely evens out skin for a totally natural, luminous finish. (Think gel-covered pigments that mimic photo filters to blur imperfections.) Created in our studios, this HD formula was developed to keep up with advancing photo technology by giving you flawless coverage that's undetectable to the naked eye."

Right so in a nutshell, I love this foundation because it:
  • Doesn’t get cakey and has a lush dewy finish
  • Gives my face a gorgeous, natural luminous glow
  • Is light to wear, and is a moisturising foundation so is very comfortable on the skin
  • Is oil-free - which is probably why for a dewy foundation it has such decent stay-power.

Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation SPF 15 | Beauty Blog Review

Coverage and finish:
Coverage is buildable sheer-to-medium, making this a great product for days when you do not want heavy coverage. Thus those of you who like a lighter foundation with a dewy finish will particularly like this. ...actually anyone who wants that highly covetable, luminous even skin will love this!

To lock my foundation in place I use my Halo Powder (basically the ‘powder version’ of Liquid Halo) on top of this liquid foundation gives me the perfect finish - and I have to say that the two products compliment each other really well.

Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation SPF 15 | UK Beauty Blogger Review 
Shades:
There are 10 shades to choose from. I have shade Medium 6 (described as being a “warm medium beige for medium complexions”) as pictured above. This shade is actually a tad on the orangey side for my yellow-toned skin and is a bit too warm for me, which I knew at the time of my purchase, but I thought there was no harm in trying it anyway. Now that my summer tan is fading, I thought I would take myself down to my local Smashbox counter to see if I could purchase a lighter shade of Liquid Halo...

…and actually that’s where the sad news comes in: When I got to the counter I was told that Liquid Halo was being discontinued!! This is now the third time that the brand have discontinued a base product that I really loved. ...to be honest this is why I never commit to just one foundation, and thus the reason why my makeup collection is so erm vast... translation: I have TONS and TONS of makeup!

On the upside I was told that Liquid Halo has been superseded by Smashbox Camera Ready BB Water SPF 30 (...on my quick inspection some of the the shades look on the yellow/golden side - this is ideal for me, so this is definitely on my 'to-try' list!).

Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation SPF 15 | UK Beauty Blog Review
Above: Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation SPF 15 in the shade Medium 6

…speaking of shades - a lot of the shades for Liquid Halo HD Foundation seem to be on the warm side - perhaps that’s a factor in why it was discontinued. So for that reason, this foundation would not be for everyone.


Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder:

What they say:
"A powder that reduces fine lines & wrinkles in 10 minutes? It's not magic, it's new HALO HYDRATING PERFECTING POWDER. HALO is the first anti-aging powder with the science of skin care built in. It's advanced formulation of pure gold, 48 minerals, 11 amino acids and a powerful peptide deliver dynamic anti-aging benefits while the patented hydration system continuously revitalizes skin for a brighter, more radiant complexion all day."

….An anti-aging makeup powder?
This product makes some interesting anti-aging claims: Apparently “after 6 weeks of use, there is a 67% decrease in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles overall"which I can’t vouch for as it's not something that I've particularly been looking out for. Whilst I do generally really like the whole "makeup-with-added-skin-care-benefits" thing, I would feel a bit of a bit of a fool for thinking that a makeup powder was going to help me look younger lol!!

...Yet that aside, I can confirm that as the name suggests, this powder really does feel hydrating on the skin...and without fail always makes my skin look fabulous.

Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder Review | Beauty Blog | UK Beauty Blogger

Reasons for loving this powder

Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder is basically the 'powder version' of Liquid Halo, described above. Like the liquid version, Halo Powder is all about the luminosity – so if you’re into radiant glowing skin then you need this in your life! Plus I also like that it is oil-free and paraben-free.

The main reason that I adore this powder so much is that I just cant stand dry, cakey talc-based powders...they're just so awful aren't they?! So that is why I’m always happy to spend more for quality - yes Smashbox Halo Powder I’m talking about you! So yup this gem of a powder is indeed talc-free and feels silky smooth to the touch and leaves your skin looking flawless with a satin-like finish. Trust me, this product is never cakey and has a really gorgeous creamy feel and texture to it that you would never get from a cheaper powder.

A whole ton of product is housed inside the compact, so don’t be put of by the initial cost. Trust me this powder lasts ages!

...Most of all I love that: Halo Powder functions excellently as a setting powder. It locks my liquid foundation in place firmly, and since it is finely milled with a beautiful creamy texture it doesn’t settle into fine lines – I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!

Innovative packaging:

Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder Compact & Packaging 
I can’t write a review about Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder without paying homage to the excellent packaging. Firstly, the actual compact itself is very robust - but the real beauty is that: In order to dispense the product, you have to twist the innovative built-in shaver, and only then will the powder be released. This is great because it allows you to control how much product you want to dispense, thus minimising wastage – genius!

This also means that you can carry the compact about with you without the worry that it’s going to spill in your makeup bag. Although some may find the compact a bit too bulky for this purpose, it’s SO GOOD to finally come across a loose powder that is safe from spillage! So in terms of travel-friendliness this powder is obviously a goodie...always handy for trips away I assure you!

Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder | Smashbox Halo Powder
Above: What the product looks like once it's dispensed - it's such a lush creamy powder!
(Note: Due to the SPF content, the powder has photographed a lot lighter than it actually is)


Coverage and shades:
Worn alone, the powder gives a sheer light to medium coverage depending on how you build it up, and since I prefer "a bit more" coverage, and love the way that it locks my foundation in place, I tend to use my Halo powder as a setting/finishing powder only.

I have shade Light Medium, which is “for warm sandy complexions with neutral undertones.” Again, this isn’t my “perfect match” as it’s a shade or two warmer than my “true” skin tone, and yup is a tad on the orangey side for me. Yet I do not really mind this as every time I wear this powder I look all bronzed and sun-kissed.

...plus - the orangey tone of the powder works to help neutralise my pesky under eye darkness - great tip, particularly suited to those suffering from heredity Asian dark circles!

Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder Packaging | High End Makeup 
I can’t really think of any major negatives about this powder, asides from the obvious fact that like any loose powder it can be a bit messy to work with (I simply combat this by applying mine over the sink). The only other negative is that as with Liquid Halo, it seems that most of the shades (there are 8 in total) lean towards the warm/orangey side, thus this powder may not be for everyone.

Overall these two foundations are must-haves for anyone seeking a foundation that gives them  a gorgeous, natural luminous finish!

Aimee xx

18 comments:

  1. I've never heard or seen anything about the powder! I may have to purchase it and give it a go x

    Liz | LotsofLoveLiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! You get soooo much product in the compact - and the finish is non-cakey! Very similar to the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish powders :) x

      Delete
  2. Such an honest review! Thanks for sharing!
    I guess I should try these, especially since the weather is making my skin really dry!

    Much love
    jedidiahgc.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, happy to help! I enjoy making my reviews as helpful as possible so really appreciate your kind feedback! :)

      Both are really moisturising and comfortable on the skin, so they would be ideal x

      Delete
  3. Ah these both sound so good :D So good that they work well together!!

    xx Sofia | SofiaaDot

    ReplyDelete
  4. This foundation looks amazing. I love how the packaging is designed to avoid any waisting of the product itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so curious about these products so glad that I stumbled upon this review. Would definitely give it a go when I see it

    Joyce | Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow both of these sound SO incredible! I'll definitely have to try both of these out x
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to try the liquid formula. Great review!

    Abigail Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it'd be the perfect formula! Too bad it's being discontinued!!
    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastics foundations
    http://retromaggie.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried Shmashbox products :( have a nice day xx

    aishettina.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice post!


    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Need to try this smash box now
    ,
    Great blog and great post!!

    www.londonstylegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for stopping by - and for your lovely comments!
    Aimee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That smashbox powder looks right up my alley!

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good beauty post especially when in between products. I haven't tried smashbox yet but have heard lots of good things.

    www.seenaskristine.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)